Heathlands School was founded by the Church in 1858 at a cost of about £350. In 1901 a further £425 was raised to make room for an additional 100 children; the population of West Bergholt was approximately 1,050 souls at that time. As a result of the 1944 Education Act it was estimated that at least £5,000 was required to bring the School into line with the stated requirements.
So the school was put under the control of the Local Education Authority (LEA), who assumed full financial responsibility. Its "controlled" status continued with the Church appointing one third of the Governors to the governing body, the other two thirds being appointed by the LEA and other bodies. Following the 1988 Education Reform Act the Governing Body has again been reconvened and a new governing body was appointed in 1990.